New York News
Suspect arraigned in shopkeeper murders
FLATBUSH (WABC) -- After a day of questioning, police charged 63-year-old Salvatore Perrone, aka "Duffel Bag man" with three counts of first and second degree murder in the shooting deaths of three Brooklyn shopkeepers.
Perrone was arraigned early Thursday morning and ordered to be held without bail.
Sources say Perrone made admissions in connection with committing all three of the murders.
Investigators found a sawed off .22-caliber rifle, a bloody knife and women's stockings found in his apartment, sources said. Forensics evidence links the gun to one of the murders, they said.
"It's reasonable to assume he was going to keep doing this, and, by arresting him, we saved lives," Kelly said at a news conference.
Kelly called Perrone, who's white, "talkative" with detectives and said he made incriminating statements. But Kelly refused to reveal what Perrone said.
Police said they believe Perrone carried the murder weapon in the bag and travelled by subway.
Police are still combing for more clues inside the 63-year-old's home in Staten Island. Perrone went without a struggle to the 67th Precinct after nervous residents spotted him in Bay Ridge.
They recognized him from surveillance video showing him walking near the scene of the most recent murder in Flatbush.
"A lot of business owners were scared," one shopkeeper said. "I get out of here at 12, 1, 2 in the morning, and we always worry about someone behind your back."
All three victims were Middle Eastern men who were killed with the same 22-caliber gun as they closed their stores alone, and in each case the suspect covered the victim's head with clothing or boxes.
Perrone has prior arrests in Pennsylvania for burglary, harassment and stalking.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
salvatore perrone, new york city, brooklyn, flatbush, shooting, murder, serial killer, new york news
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 42 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 40 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
18 min ago