New York News
Police investigate murder of Bronx teenager
HUNTS POINT (WABC) -- Police are continuing to question the step-uncle of a teenage girl whose body was found in the Bronx early Friday.
The body of 15-year old Destiny Sanchez was discovered by a relative Friday morning in the lobby of an apartment building in the Hunts Point section.
Her family says that the body apparently been doused in bleach in a possible effort to hide evidence.
While police have not arrested anyone in her death, 34-year-old Luis Vega, a brother of Destiny's stepmother, is under arrest, charged with giving the 15-year-old alcohol on the night she was attacked.
A report by the New York City Medical Examiner says the teen died of a compression of the neck and smothering.
Destiny Sanchez's mother, sat in a white car for some time Saturday afternoon, yards from the spot where her child took her last breath. She was there Friday as well.
"She came to me asking if I heard the screams of her daughter..I didn't know it was Destiny," said Vivian Negron.
Family and friends gathered at the scene Friday, grief-stricken, as news of the crime spread throughout her extended family. She'd left for the store Thursday night, and never returned.
Several New York City auto clubs pulled together for a quiet memorial Saturday, where candles flickered in Destiny's memory.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hunts point, crime, murder, new york news
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos