New York News
Staten Island man's Sandy donations all destroyed
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Many people need help to recover in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.
One man from Staten Island was fortunate enough to receive a helping hand thanks to a viral campaign on the internet, but in a tough turn, it's all gone.
47-year-old Eddie Saman has every right to be angry or depressed, he's lost a lot.
But instead, he is a man with a smile and a grateful heart.
Devastation rained down on him again and again. First, Sandy wiped out everything in his little cottage in the New Dorp Beach section of Staten Island. He slept on his cold moldy floor with no heat, water, or electricity.
Enter 19-year-old Sal Barcia, a volunteer with the New York State Nurses Association.
He couldn't sleep after he saw how Eddie was living.
On Saturday, Sal made a video and posted it on his Facebook page. It went viral immediately donations poured.
Eddie never got to sleep on his newly donated mattress.
That night, his wood-burning stove caught fire and his house with all the gifts went up in smoke.
Now, Eddie is in an even worse place. But generous strangers continue to come forward.
A plumber saw the Facebook video and will now donate a boiler and water heater.
For Eddie it's not about dark valleys. It's about one step forward one gift at a time.
To see the video and make a donation, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/salvatore.barcia
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, hurricane sandy, new york news, lucy yang
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 24 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 1 min ago
- Police ID suspect in theft of 1-year old's earrings
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake'
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
1 min ago