New York News
Garment salesman indicted in shopkeeper deaths
NEW YORK -- A grand jury has indicted a garment salesman accused of systematically shooting three shopkeepers to death as they worked alone in their New York City clothing stores.
The Brooklyn District Attorney's office said Staten Island resident Salvatore Perrone was indicted on three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder. He faces life in prison if convicted.
Perrone was taken into custody last week in the suspected serial killings. A pharmacy worker recognized Perrone, 63, as the balding man shown in surveillance footage leaving the scene of the most recent shooting, on Nov. 16, with a duffel bag, police said.
Detectives said they found the duffel bag at Perrone's girlfriend's home. Inside, they said, was a sawed-off rifle used in the killings, along with .22-caliber ammunition, black gloves, women's clothing, a bloody knife and a bottle of bleach.
Initially, authorities thought the killer might have targeted the Brooklyn shopkeepers, who were from Iran and Egypt, because of their Middle Eastern backgrounds. But Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said there was no motive he could speak of.
The other killings happened in July and August.
A defense lawyer has said Perrone denies killing anyone.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, murder, new york news
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings near explosion 46 min ago
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Sketch released of suspect wanted in luring
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings...
46 min ago