New York News
Garment salesman indicted in shopkeeper deaths
NEW YORK -- A grand jury has indicted a garment salesman accused of systematically shooting three shopkeepers to death as they worked alone in their New York City clothing stores.
The Brooklyn District Attorney's office said Staten Island resident Salvatore Perrone was indicted on three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder. He faces life in prison if convicted.
Perrone was taken into custody last week in the suspected serial killings. A pharmacy worker recognized Perrone, 63, as the balding man shown in surveillance footage leaving the scene of the most recent shooting, on Nov. 16, with a duffel bag, police said.
Detectives said they found the duffel bag at Perrone's girlfriend's home. Inside, they said, was a sawed-off rifle used in the killings, along with .22-caliber ammunition, black gloves, women's clothing, a bloody knife and a bottle of bleach.
Initially, authorities thought the killer might have targeted the Brooklyn shopkeepers, who were from Iran and Egypt, because of their Middle Eastern backgrounds. But Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said there was no motive he could speak of.
The other killings happened in July and August.
A defense lawyer has said Perrone denies killing anyone.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, murder, new york news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 34 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 41 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 52 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
30 min ago