New York News
Rockaways residents caught up in FEMA's red tape
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are serious questions about how recovery workers were supposed to cut through all the red tape to help survivors of Sandy.
A mom in the Rockaways whose home was flooded is still, more than four weeks after the storm, tied up in red tape.
10-year-old Jamilla Katz's artwork covers the walls of her water slammed Far Rockaway home.
Its high on the walls, so it's just about all that wasn't lost in the storm. It is overwhelming.
"Where do I bring my baby, she has to go back to school and there's nowhere to sit, nowhere to sleep, nowhere to lay down," Feleza Katz said.
Ms. Katz neighbors have all already received checks from FEMA that they're using for temporary housing.
But because of a single paperwork mix-up, she hasn't gotten a nickel.
"Miss, we don't need you to prove that you own the house, we need you to prove that you live in the house and that's when I ran from there crying, I can't, I can't anymore," Katz said.
But wait, isn't this the kind of red tape the president said he wouldn't tolerate?
"Something about not tolerating red tape, we're not going to tolerate bureaucracy and I've instituted a 15 minute on my team you return everyone's calls within 15 minutes," President Obama said.
Anyone can see a family lived in the modest, corner home.
But no FEMA inspector has ever bothered to look at it.
Katz provided a notarized affidavit from her bank stating the home was her only residence, but none of it has been enough.
"I'm the little person with a child who's not getting into her house, my house is rotting and my child doesn't have a place to go," Katz said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hurricane sandy, fema, new york news, jim dolan
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- New measles cases confirmed in New York City 34 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos