New York News
Port Authority's holiday gift: Higher tolls in effect
FORT LEE (WABC) -- The morning commute is now more expensive for drivers after new toll hikes imposed by the Port Authority took effect Sunday.
Cash tolls on the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing went up $1 to $13.
Tolls for E-ZPass users jumped from $9.50 to $10.25 during peak commuting hours and from $7.50 to $8.25 during off-peak hours.
"It's the unfortunate reality of life in the big city, I guess," driver Gary Sastow said. "Not happy about it."
The Port Authority last raised tolls in September 2011.
"The timing is just awful, but MTA is going up, everything is going up," driver Desi Ndreu said. "The consumer is going to pay for it, because we have no choice because we have to use it."
The agency said it needed to offset security-related projects following the 9/11 attacks, a drop in revenue caused by the global economic slump and the $11 billion World Trade Center complex.
The pain is especially acute for truck drivers. Five-axle trucks got hit with a $10 increase to $60 if they use E-ZPass during peak hours. The toll is $75 for big rig drivers who pay cash.
And those tolls usually get passed along to customers.
"I think they should consider us more," truck driver Byron Gilzene said. "People have to use this every day on a daily basis, I really think they should think about us more."
Port Authority tolls will next go up on Dec. 1, 2013 unless a lawsuit against the increase is successful.
The toll hikes are so controversial that AAA has filed a lawsuit against the Port Authority, claiming the increases are illegal.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, fort lee, port authority, toll hike, tolls, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store 30 min ago
- Man found alive in body bag dies weeks later 16 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead
15 min ago