New York News
Hate crime in Corona leaves elderly man in critical condition
CORONA, New York (WABC) -- Last week he and his wife celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and just days later, 72 year old Ali Akmal was near death when he was attacked in Corona, Queens.
Ali was a victim of a vicious random attack, as he took his morning walk.
Zahra Siddique is Akmal's granddaughter who asked us to blur her face, because the attackers are still on the loose.
"You really have to have no soul to do something like this," Zahra said.
Two of them, caught on camera sprinting down 46th avenue after jumping the elderly man in front of this poultry market, just after 5 a.m. this past Saturday.
And before they started to pound away, they asked a disturbing question. They asked Akmal if he was Hindu or Muslim.
Detectives from the NYPD's hate crimes taskforce are now in charge of the case.
After the beating, a bruised and bloodied Akmal somehow got himself to this beer distributer a block away where someone called 911. He's been in critical condition at Elmhurst Hospital, ever since.
Now, police want your help in tracking down the alleged attackers. Bias crime or not, Akmal's granddaughter Zahra hopes they pay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos