New York News
Hate crime in Corona leaves elderly man in critical condition
CORONA, New York (WABC) -- Last week he and his wife celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and just days later, 72 year old Ali Akmal was near death when he was attacked in Corona, Queens.
Ali was a victim of a vicious random attack, as he took his morning walk.
Zahra Siddique is Akmal's granddaughter who asked us to blur her face, because the attackers are still on the loose.
"You really have to have no soul to do something like this," Zahra said.
Two of them, caught on camera sprinting down 46th avenue after jumping the elderly man in front of this poultry market, just after 5 a.m. this past Saturday.
And before they started to pound away, they asked a disturbing question. They asked Akmal if he was Hindu or Muslim.
Detectives from the NYPD's hate crimes taskforce are now in charge of the case.
After the beating, a bruised and bloodied Akmal somehow got himself to this beer distributer a block away where someone called 911. He's been in critical condition at Elmhurst Hospital, ever since.
Now, police want your help in tracking down the alleged attackers. Bias crime or not, Akmal's granddaughter Zahra hopes they pay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite 36 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
25 min ago