New York News
Bronx cab driver shot while on the job
MOTT HAVEN (WABC) -- At 33-years-old, Marcos Manuel Villegas has spent almost a third of life driving a livery cab in the Bronx.
His last street hail nearly cost him his life.
His father told Eyewitness News in Spanish that he warned his son about the dangers of the overnight job, and asked him to quit.
At 3 on Sunday morning, Villegas was shot at the corner of East 137 Street and Cypress Avenue in the Mott Haven section.
"He honked the horn they told him they were not interested in a cab," said Taxi Cab Federation Spokesperson Fernando Mateo, "evidently he got very aggressive with him at the point they pulled a gun out and just shot him. He was able to drive himself to the precinct."
Mateo says that Villegas is in serious but stable condition at Lincoln Hospital. He was shot in the left chest, but is expected to survive. Now his family and fellow drivers hope police can make an arrest soon before someone else is shot.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, mott haven, cab drivers, shooting, new york news, carolina leid
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 1 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
47 min ago