New York News
Staten Island man engulfed in flames after cooking
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Authorities say a man was engulfed in flames as he fled his New York home after an apparent kitchen accident.
Fire officials say the victim is being treated for serious injuries at a Staten Island hospital after the mishap Saturday afternoon.
The New York Post reports that 60-year-old Louis Gloria was cooking when he was caught in a grease blaze. The newspaper says he tried to extinguish the flames using water but that only fanned the fire.
A neighbor, Edward Leavy Jr., told the Post that Gloria was screaming and seemed to be burning alive when he ran from his house. The neighbor's brother tried to smother the flames that burned on for several minutes before help arrived.
Fire officials do not consider the blaze suspicious. They're investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97 33 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
14 min ago