New York News
Staten Island man engulfed in flames after cooking
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Authorities say a man was engulfed in flames as he fled his New York home after an apparent kitchen accident.
Fire officials say the victim is being treated for serious injuries at a Staten Island hospital after the mishap Saturday afternoon.
The New York Post reports that 60-year-old Louis Gloria was cooking when he was caught in a grease blaze. The newspaper says he tried to extinguish the flames using water but that only fanned the fire.
A neighbor, Edward Leavy Jr., told the Post that Gloria was screaming and seemed to be burning alive when he ran from his house. The neighbor's brother tried to smother the flames that burned on for several minutes before help arrived.
Fire officials do not consider the blaze suspicious. They're investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, new york news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 10 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall