New York News
Worker killed when AC unit breaks loose from crane
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say a New Jersey construction worker was killed in the Bronx when an industrial-sized air conditioner being hoisted by a crane onto the roof of a hospital broke loose and fell on top of him.
The incident took place just before 11 a.m. outside Bronx-Lebanon Hospital on Grand Concourse and 173rd Street in the Highbridge section of the Bronx.
The worker - identified as 38-year-old Tristan Mananghaya, of Jersey City, - was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Witnesses say the worker was guiding the crane operator when he was hit by the 40-foot-long AC unit.
The accident is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, grand concourse, new york news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College student, prosecutor... 44 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted 23 min ago
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 52 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College...
44 min ago