New York News
Worker killed when AC unit breaks loose from crane
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say a New Jersey construction worker was killed in the Bronx when an industrial-sized air conditioner being hoisted by a crane onto the roof of a hospital broke loose and fell on top of him.
The incident took place just before 11 a.m. outside Bronx-Lebanon Hospital on Grand Concourse and 173rd Street in the Highbridge section of the Bronx.
The worker - identified as 38-year-old Tristan Mananghaya, of Jersey City, - was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Witnesses say the worker was guiding the crane operator when he was hit by the 40-foot-long AC unit.
The accident is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, grand concourse, new york news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos