New York News
Worker killed when AC unit breaks loose from crane
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say a New Jersey construction worker was killed in the Bronx when an industrial-sized air conditioner being hoisted by a crane onto the roof of a hospital broke loose and fell on top of him.
The incident took place just before 11 a.m. outside Bronx-Lebanon Hospital on Grand Concourse and 173rd Street in the Highbridge section of the Bronx.
The worker - identified as 38-year-old Tristan Mananghaya, of Jersey City, - was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Witnesses say the worker was guiding the crane operator when he was hit by the 40-foot-long AC unit.
The accident is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, grand concourse, new york news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 59 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 26 min ago
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Family loses two in East Harlem explosion
21 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from...
26 min ago