New York News
Worker killed when AC unit breaks loose from crane
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say a New Jersey construction worker was killed in the Bronx when an industrial-sized air conditioner being hoisted by a crane onto the roof of a hospital broke loose and fell on top of him.
The incident took place just before 11 a.m. outside Bronx-Lebanon Hospital on Grand Concourse and 173rd Street in the Highbridge section of the Bronx.
The worker - identified as 38-year-old Tristan Mananghaya, of Jersey City, - was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Witnesses say the worker was guiding the crane operator when he was hit by the 40-foot-long AC unit.
The accident is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, grand concourse, new york news
- Jersey City water main break repaired 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 8 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 10 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos