New York News
Closing arguments in Jewish counselor sex abuse trial
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Closing arguments were made Thursday in the trial of a well-known ultra orthodox member of the Jewish community in Brooklyn, accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl he was supposedly counseling.
The jury could get the case Friday.
Nechemya Weberman left the courthouse with his wife and one of his 10 children on what could be his last night of freedom.
His attorneys insist that Weberman is being framed by a young girl who despises ultra-orthodox Judaism.
"She came to hate her community and she hated her religion," Defense attorney Stacey Richman told the jury, "This is her opportunity to say, 'I hate this.'"
Weberman is a prominent member of Brooklyn's ultra-orthodox Satmar community. He was hired by the girl's family to counsel their rebellious daughter.
Instead, prosecutors say he sexually-assaulted her for three years beginning when she was 12.
"[but] if he's touching her, why is she making appointments to go back?" asked the defense attorney. "She's calling him constantly. This did not occur," she said, "Not even once."
But prosecutors say the reason is obvious.
"Who's going to believe a 12 year-old girl who was considered a heretic in the community?" asked prosecutor Linda Weinman, "He was a god and she was dirt. She couldn't tell anyone."
"He took this young girl with a fiery spirit and he broke her," she said. "It was repulsive and it was criminal."
The accusers' family insists she's telling the truth.
"I truly, truly believe her. I know it happened to her," the accuser's aunt said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, child sex abuse scandal, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 45 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 46 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
25 min ago