New York News
Robber targeting elderly women in the Bronx
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in the Bronx are searching for a robber targeting elderly women.
A stranger returned one victim's black leather purse and almost everything inside, all but $1,300 in money orders intended for her bills.
"I didn't let him take it," the robbery victim said.
Police are still looking for this man, they say he left this 68-year-old afraid and bruised, so Eyewitness News is concealing her identity.
Monday afternoon around 3 p.m., just after she left a nearby post office, she felt a strong tug while walking along Magenta Street in the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx.
"I felt something above me that was grabbing me and trying to take my bag. But at first, I didn't know what it was," the victim said.
Instead of fear, adrenaline kicked in.
"We were in this struggle. He threw me on the ground to try to take my purse because I had it and was holding onto it," the victim said.
The tug of war ensued for a few minutes until he threw on the ground, dragged her out a doorway, and ultimately ran off with her purse. But it wasn't over for her, she chased him around all four corners of the building.
"And me, in a lot of pain, I got and ran after him shouting, 'Help me! Help me! He stole my purse! Call the police! Call the police!'" the victim said.
She's one of four older women who have been robbed in the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx this week alone near the check cashing store near the intersection of East Gun Hill and White Plains Road.
The other victims were ages 60, 78, and 89.
Rosa Rios, the oldest of the group, says he followed her up an elevator, stole a newly purchased $60 money order, and ran off.
"He said give me the money and take the money," said Rosa Rios, robbery victim.
Police say the suspect is a black male, 30 to 45 years old, heavy set and wearing a dark colored jacket and a black hat.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, williamsbridge, robbery, new york news, darla miles
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- Photos: Robinson Cano through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos