New York News
Robber targeting elderly women in the Bronx
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in the Bronx are searching for a robber targeting elderly women.
A stranger returned one victim's black leather purse and almost everything inside, all but $1,300 in money orders intended for her bills.
"I didn't let him take it," the robbery victim said.
Police are still looking for this man, they say he left this 68-year-old afraid and bruised, so Eyewitness News is concealing her identity.
Monday afternoon around 3 p.m., just after she left a nearby post office, she felt a strong tug while walking along Magenta Street in the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx.
"I felt something above me that was grabbing me and trying to take my bag. But at first, I didn't know what it was," the victim said.
Instead of fear, adrenaline kicked in.
"We were in this struggle. He threw me on the ground to try to take my purse because I had it and was holding onto it," the victim said.
The tug of war ensued for a few minutes until he threw on the ground, dragged her out a doorway, and ultimately ran off with her purse. But it wasn't over for her, she chased him around all four corners of the building.
"And me, in a lot of pain, I got and ran after him shouting, 'Help me! Help me! He stole my purse! Call the police! Call the police!'" the victim said.
She's one of four older women who have been robbed in the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx this week alone near the check cashing store near the intersection of East Gun Hill and White Plains Road.
The other victims were ages 60, 78, and 89.
Rosa Rios, the oldest of the group, says he followed her up an elevator, stole a newly purchased $60 money order, and ran off.
"He said give me the money and take the money," said Rosa Rios, robbery victim.
Police say the suspect is a black male, 30 to 45 years old, heavy set and wearing a dark colored jacket and a black hat.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, williamsbridge, robbery, new york news, darla miles
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos