New York News
Grandmother killed in Bensonhurst car collision
BENSONHURST (WABC) -- A 60-year old grandmother was killed and her family is in the hospital after being hit by a car in Brooklyn.
The incident occurred Saturday on Quentin Rd. and W 5th Street in the Bensonhurst section, where two one-way streets intersect.
Police say an Acura SUV collided with a Jeep, flipped, and careened into the family walking on the street: a mother, two grandparents, and a 1-year old girl.
The grandmother, Chenugor Dao, was pronounced dead on arrival at Lutheran Medical Center.
Her husband, daughter, and 1-year old granddaughter all remain hospitalized in stable condition, along with four people riding in one of the cars.
The driver of the Acura was not hurt.
"The guy couldn't even get out of the car, they had to cut the door open," said eyewitness Giovanni Babel, "I've been living here for 22 years, I have never seen a car flip over like this."
Other witnesses tell Eyewitness News that they saw one car speeding.
Investigators are looking into the cause of the crash.
But so far the NYPD does not expect to file any criminal charges.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bensonhurst, accident, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos