New York News
Mold, asbestos cleanup underway in storm-damaged school
BELLE HARBOR (WABC) -- It turns out parents who were concerned, and complained about potential mold at a storm-damaged Queens school had a good reason to be worried.
Tests have found mold and asbestos and PS 114Q in Belle Harbor.
This is a problem some parents say they saw coming.
"We have seen the mold grow in our own homes, so we knew that the school would be in a similar position as our homes were," said parent Irene Doherty.
The auditorium had to be sealed off, and parts of the stage where the mold was found had to be removed, according to an environmental study that was conducted Wednesday. Asbestos in a crawl-space also needs to be removed.
School re-opened, but parents found out two days later that the auditorium should not have been open to the children. They immediately closed down, and children have not been in the wing at all.
After Sandy, the Department of Education said that the entire building was cleaned, and it passed air quality testing. A letter sent out to parents on Friday played out a plan of action, and states,
"We hope this information will help alleviate any concerns that you may have, and reassure you that the conditions in PS 114Q are safe for children and staff."
Not only are crews working all weekend long to remove the mold and asbestos, the results of weekend long mold and air quality testing will be delivered first thing Monday morning to the principal before kids return to school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, hurricane, hurricane sandy, new york news, darla miles
- Crews reach basement of East Harlem buildings 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 12 min ago
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Crews reach basement of East Harlem buildings
38 min ago