New York News
Man shot and killed in Midtown Manhattan
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- Police are looking for the gunman who shot a man in the head at 58th Street and Broadway in Midtown Manhattan on Monday afternoon.
He was killed execution style on a crowded Midtown street, gunned down in broad daylight.
"When I heard the shot, I turned around and saw him dropping on the floor," said David Mirambeau, a witness.
At about 2 Monday afternoon, the gunshot rang out.
According to police, it was one shot to the back of the victim's head, 31-year-old Brandon Lincoln Woodard.
Dozens of people walking down the street at the time all heard the gunshot.
What they didn't see was the gunman getting away.
Police say the suspect jumped into the passenger front seat of a waiting car at the corner of 58th and 7th. Investigators believe it was a grey or silver Lincoln MKZ.
Eyewitness News has confirmed the crime was caught on surveillance cameras in the area. There is one over the entrance to the St. Thomas Choir School.
The 31-year-old victim was gunned down steps away from the school's front door.
Police tell ABC News, "As he (THE SUSPECT) walks up to the victim, the victim turns. He is looking at his phone or iPod as he is walking. The shooter gets right behind him."
A police source says, "It is one shot right in the back of the head. It is a hit, no question about it."
Woodward of Los Angeles was taken from the scene in critical condition after firefighters performed CPR. He was pronounced dead at nearby St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital.
Authorities said the suspect was wearing a brown hoodie sweatshirt. He was apparently in the area for 40 minutes waiting for Woodard.
The motive is not immediately known.
Friends say the victim was a good father to his daughter.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, midtown, manhattan, crime, shooting, new york news, jeff pegues
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 44 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
11 min ago