New York News
Good Samaritan, others, saved man on the tracks
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Victor Samuel will tell you, right off the bat, he is not a hero.
"I knew I was not alone, otherwise again, I may not have gone down there," Samuel said.
Down there on the 4, 5 & 6 tracks he saw a dazed man and along with several others began working together to save his life.
"I jumped down from the platform," Samuel said.
"Suddenly there is a second man there. It was absolutely surreal and horrifying. The second man had fallen in. Jumped in, I really don't know. It happened in that nano-second," said Margaret Besheer, an eyewitness.
Margaret Besheer was on the downtown platform watching these events unfold, as she said Friday, not knowing how Victor Samuel ended up on the tracks.
"And he was trying to help the man who was in the tracks. And people were screaming to them. Screaming to the train conductor to stop the train," Besheer said.
Victor then got the man over to the platform's edge.
"There were reaching hands, as I mentioned there were other folks. I thought they could help. I thought the best way I could help would be to get back on the platform," Samuel said.
Victor even struggled to do that on his own, but pulled himself up by the time the train had stopped.
"There were a lot of people involved. But they did scramble up onto the platform," Besheer said.
Again, Victor stresses, there were others helping to save this man's life.
"I would do it again given the same circumstances, given the fact that I had a little time to help him, and the extra hands as well," Samuel said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, subway, rescue, new york news, tim fleischer
- London attack could be terror-related, officials say
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 25 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Residents receive letters to confirm citizenship 15 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting 1 min ago
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
25 min ago