New York News
Good Samaritan, others, saved man on the tracks
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Victor Samuel will tell you, right off the bat, he is not a hero.
"I knew I was not alone, otherwise again, I may not have gone down there," Samuel said.
Down there on the 4, 5 & 6 tracks he saw a dazed man and along with several others began working together to save his life.
"I jumped down from the platform," Samuel said.
"Suddenly there is a second man there. It was absolutely surreal and horrifying. The second man had fallen in. Jumped in, I really don't know. It happened in that nano-second," said Margaret Besheer, an eyewitness.
Margaret Besheer was on the downtown platform watching these events unfold, as she said Friday, not knowing how Victor Samuel ended up on the tracks.
"And he was trying to help the man who was in the tracks. And people were screaming to them. Screaming to the train conductor to stop the train," Besheer said.
Victor then got the man over to the platform's edge.
"There were reaching hands, as I mentioned there were other folks. I thought they could help. I thought the best way I could help would be to get back on the platform," Samuel said.
Victor even struggled to do that on his own, but pulled himself up by the time the train had stopped.
"There were a lot of people involved. But they did scramble up onto the platform," Besheer said.
Again, Victor stresses, there were others helping to save this man's life.
"I would do it again given the same circumstances, given the fact that I had a little time to help him, and the extra hands as well," Samuel said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, subway, rescue, new york news, tim fleischer
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
31 min ago