New York News
Good Samaritan, others, saved man on the tracks
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Victor Samuel will tell you, right off the bat, he is not a hero.
"I knew I was not alone, otherwise again, I may not have gone down there," Samuel said.
Down there on the 4, 5 & 6 tracks he saw a dazed man and along with several others began working together to save his life.
"I jumped down from the platform," Samuel said.
"Suddenly there is a second man there. It was absolutely surreal and horrifying. The second man had fallen in. Jumped in, I really don't know. It happened in that nano-second," said Margaret Besheer, an eyewitness.
Margaret Besheer was on the downtown platform watching these events unfold, as she said Friday, not knowing how Victor Samuel ended up on the tracks.
"And he was trying to help the man who was in the tracks. And people were screaming to them. Screaming to the train conductor to stop the train," Besheer said.
Victor then got the man over to the platform's edge.
"There were reaching hands, as I mentioned there were other folks. I thought they could help. I thought the best way I could help would be to get back on the platform," Samuel said.
Victor even struggled to do that on his own, but pulled himself up by the time the train had stopped.
"There were a lot of people involved. But they did scramble up onto the platform," Besheer said.
Again, Victor stresses, there were others helping to save this man's life.
"I would do it again given the same circumstances, given the fact that I had a little time to help him, and the extra hands as well," Samuel said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, subway, rescue, new york news, tim fleischer
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 58 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 15 min ago
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 32 min ago
- Police ID suspect in theft of 1-year old's earrings
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake'
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
32 min ago