New York News
Man wanted for two sex assaults in Bushwick
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in Brooklyn are searching for a man who sexually assaulted at least two women in Bushwick, Brooklyn recently.
In a tight knit cluster of blocks filled with artists' lofts, work spaces and natural food stores, occasionally filled in with industrial companies in the Bushwick neighborhood, there is an uneasy feeling as word gets around of a recent sexual assault.
"That is a little bit disturbing just because this is a neighborhood that is safe to walk around," said Terese Bennett, an artist.
An area where Terese Bennett lives and sells her custom made jewelry along Bogart Street.
But she like others are hearing of two frightening attacks.
"I just heard about them last night," one person said.
Still shaken by the assault, the victim spoke to Eyewitness News by phone saying she was sexually assaulted early Saturday morning.
A man she describes as Hispanic, about six feet tall shoved her into a wall and started pulling at her clothing and making lewd comments.
She began screaming, she says, and was able to free herself.
But she also tells Eyewitness News, she spoke with another victim of an attack with similar circumstances and a similar description 10 blocks from the neighborhood. "Any kind of person attacking women and anyone is disturbing," Bennett said.
Reportedly, at least one business has urged employees to travel in groups or call car services in the wake of the attacks.
When asked, an employee directed Eyewitness News to a web site that made no mention of any concern, but others who live in the area, like Lyndsay McLaren, plan to take extra precautions.
"Have your eyes and ears open at all times and just be cautious. If you are out late always have someone with you," McLaren said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, sex crime, sexual assault, new york news, tim fleischer
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster