New York News
Suspect surrenders in rabbi bleach attack
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An Orthodox Jewish rabbi says he was hit in the face with a cup of bleach while walking down a Brooklyn street.
Police say 36-year-old Meilech Schnitzler was arrested shortly after he turned himself in Wednesday afternoon, less than 24 hours after he allegedly threw bleach into the eyes of his neighbor, Rabbi Nuchem Rosenberg.
Rosenberg, who has spoken out against child sex abuse in the Satmar Hasidic sect, says the thrower is connected to another person in the community that he has accused of abusing children.
Police say they have a report of the alleged incident, and that the 62-year-old victim was treated and released from a hospital.
Rosenberg was a regular at the trial of Rabbi Nechemeya Weberman, who was convicted Monday of molesting a young girl over several years.
Rosenberg was not seriously hurt because he was wearing glasses and immediately rinsed his eyes out with water.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, williamsburg, brooklyn, assault, new york news
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault 37 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
12 min ago