New York News
3 charged in plot to castrate, kill Justin Bieber
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two would-be hitmen from New Mexico and a prison inmate are facing charges after authorities say they had their sights set on the teen megastar Justin Bieber in an apparent murder plot.
The men are accused of planning a bizarre and gruesome plot to kill the 18-year-old pop star.
The suspects include a former inmate, his nephew and a man currently serving a life prison sentence.
Authorities say the plot was to castrate Bieber and his bodyguard and then strangle them.
It was supposed to happen last month when Bieber was in Manhattan for two shows at Madison Square Garden.
Prosecutors say the mastermind of the alleged plot is Dana Martin, a 45-year-old man said to be obsessed with Bieber. ABC News reports Martin has a large Bieber tattoo on one of his legs.
Martin is also serving 978 years in prison for raping and murdering a teenager 12 years ago.
Court documents say former inmate Mark Staake and his nephew, Tanner Ruane, were supposed to carry out the gruesome crimes as part of a string of four murders.
Staake was arrested in Vermont on an outstanding warrant. Ruane is in custody near Albany.
All three men face conspiracy and other charges.
Bieber's representatives aren't commenting on the alleged plot, but they did release a statement saying, "We take every precaution to protect and ensure the safety of Justin and his fans."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, justin bieber, murder, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act