New York News
2 wrongfully convicted of murder set free
BRONX (WABC) -- As supporters clapped, Eric Glisson and Cathy Watkins hugged in a Bronx courtroom today.
They are bound by a justice system gone awry. The two, who never knew each other, were first brought together more than 17 years ago, locked up along with 3 others for the murder of a livery cab driver in the Soundview section.
"I describe this as I'm free from the prison plantation. That's how I describe this," Watkins said.
"I'm looking forward. I'm not looking back," Eric Glisson said.
The murder case starting falling apart last spring after Glisson wrote a letter from prison to the US Attorney's Office, which then identified two gang members, federal cooperators, as the real killers.
The Bronx District Attorney's office finally released Glisson and Watkins last month, but insisted they wear monitoring bracelets.
Finally, prosecutors agreed to vacate all 5 convictions, but not to release the other 3 defendants.
What's momentous about this case of murder is that it involved a single eyewitness, now dead, who had lots of reasons to lie.
"As long as you're relying on a crackhead who gets paid, these wrongful convictions are never going to stop," defense attorney Paul Casteleiro said.
"There are plenty of people who are sitting in prison who are wrongfully convicted as we speak," Watkins said.
Watkins isn't sure about her plans, but Glisson, who was taking college classes in prison, is now a full-time student on a scholarship.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, murder, wrongful conviction, new york news, sarah wallace
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 6 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela 50 min ago
- Reaction to death of Nelson Mandela
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 50 min ago
- Who is Bill Bratton? 51 min ago
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
33 min ago
- Who is Bill Bratton?
51 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos