New York News
2 wrongfully convicted of murder set free
BRONX (WABC) -- As supporters clapped, Eric Glisson and Cathy Watkins hugged in a Bronx courtroom today.
They are bound by a justice system gone awry. The two, who never knew each other, were first brought together more than 17 years ago, locked up along with 3 others for the murder of a livery cab driver in the Soundview section.
"I describe this as I'm free from the prison plantation. That's how I describe this," Watkins said.
"I'm looking forward. I'm not looking back," Eric Glisson said.
The murder case starting falling apart last spring after Glisson wrote a letter from prison to the US Attorney's Office, which then identified two gang members, federal cooperators, as the real killers.
The Bronx District Attorney's office finally released Glisson and Watkins last month, but insisted they wear monitoring bracelets.
Finally, prosecutors agreed to vacate all 5 convictions, but not to release the other 3 defendants.
What's momentous about this case of murder is that it involved a single eyewitness, now dead, who had lots of reasons to lie.
"As long as you're relying on a crackhead who gets paid, these wrongful convictions are never going to stop," defense attorney Paul Casteleiro said.
"There are plenty of people who are sitting in prison who are wrongfully convicted as we speak," Watkins said.
Watkins isn't sure about her plans, but Glisson, who was taking college classes in prison, is now a full-time student on a scholarship.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, murder, wrongful conviction, new york news, sarah wallace
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 3 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court 54 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
16 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
3 min ago