New York News
Police following new leads in Midtown murder
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- Police are continuing an aggressive manhunt for a gunman and a getaway driver who ambushed and killed a Los Angeles man in Midtown Manhattan, saying they're following multiple leads and have searched the victim's home for clues.
NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly says he's not happy with all the information getting out to reporters.
Police are pursuing two new leads in the case, and both are related to drugs.
Investigators now think the victim, Brandon Woodard, may have been a drug courier.
They're interested in a package reportedly sent from California to Queens.
They suspect it was a payment that came up short, and Woodard may have been sent east to smooth things over.
Police have also identified the driver of the getaway car, rented from Avis in Huntington Station on Long Island.
The driver reportedly could not rent the car by himself and needed a female friend at Avis to co-sign.
Kelly isn't happy with all the information floating around.
"Leaks in this case are undermining or have the potential of undermining the investigation," he said.
The NYPD sent detectives to California to search Woodard's condo in Los Angeles, but they turned up nothing.
Woodard's body is still at the medical examiner's office, unclaimed. His family in California says they are still making arrangements for his funeral.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, midtown, manhattan, crime, shooting, new york news, lisa colagrossi
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale