New York News
Police following new leads in Midtown murder
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- Police are continuing an aggressive manhunt for a gunman and a getaway driver who ambushed and killed a Los Angeles man in Midtown Manhattan, saying they're following multiple leads and have searched the victim's home for clues.
NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly says he's not happy with all the information getting out to reporters.
Police are pursuing two new leads in the case, and both are related to drugs.
Investigators now think the victim, Brandon Woodard, may have been a drug courier.
They're interested in a package reportedly sent from California to Queens.
They suspect it was a payment that came up short, and Woodard may have been sent east to smooth things over.
Police have also identified the driver of the getaway car, rented from Avis in Huntington Station on Long Island.
The driver reportedly could not rent the car by himself and needed a female friend at Avis to co-sign.
Kelly isn't happy with all the information floating around.
"Leaks in this case are undermining or have the potential of undermining the investigation," he said.
The NYPD sent detectives to California to search Woodard's condo in Los Angeles, but they turned up nothing.
Woodard's body is still at the medical examiner's office, unclaimed. His family in California says they are still making arrangements for his funeral.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, midtown, manhattan, crime, shooting, new york news, lisa colagrossi
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act