New York News
Police following new leads in Midtown murder
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- Police are continuing an aggressive manhunt for a gunman and a getaway driver who ambushed and killed a Los Angeles man in Midtown Manhattan, saying they're following multiple leads and have searched the victim's home for clues.
NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly says he's not happy with all the information getting out to reporters.
Police are pursuing two new leads in the case, and both are related to drugs.
Investigators now think the victim, Brandon Woodard, may have been a drug courier.
They're interested in a package reportedly sent from California to Queens.
They suspect it was a payment that came up short, and Woodard may have been sent east to smooth things over.
Police have also identified the driver of the getaway car, rented from Avis in Huntington Station on Long Island.
The driver reportedly could not rent the car by himself and needed a female friend at Avis to co-sign.
Kelly isn't happy with all the information floating around.
"Leaks in this case are undermining or have the potential of undermining the investigation," he said.
The NYPD sent detectives to California to search Woodard's condo in Los Angeles, but they turned up nothing.
Woodard's body is still at the medical examiner's office, unclaimed. His family in California says they are still making arrangements for his funeral.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, midtown, manhattan, crime, shooting, new york news, lisa colagrossi
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 20 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
33 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
20 min ago