New York News
Police following new leads in Midtown murder
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- Police are continuing an aggressive manhunt for a gunman and a getaway driver who ambushed and killed a Los Angeles man in Midtown Manhattan, saying they're following multiple leads and have searched the victim's home for clues.
NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly says he's not happy with all the information getting out to reporters.
Police are pursuing two new leads in the case, and both are related to drugs.
Investigators now think the victim, Brandon Woodard, may have been a drug courier.
They're interested in a package reportedly sent from California to Queens.
They suspect it was a payment that came up short, and Woodard may have been sent east to smooth things over.
Police have also identified the driver of the getaway car, rented from Avis in Huntington Station on Long Island.
The driver reportedly could not rent the car by himself and needed a female friend at Avis to co-sign.
Kelly isn't happy with all the information floating around.
"Leaks in this case are undermining or have the potential of undermining the investigation," he said.
The NYPD sent detectives to California to search Woodard's condo in Los Angeles, but they turned up nothing.
Woodard's body is still at the medical examiner's office, unclaimed. His family in California says they are still making arrangements for his funeral.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, midtown, manhattan, crime, shooting, new york news, lisa colagrossi
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating 59 min ago
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos