New York News
Newtown victim D'Avino died just before proposal
NEWTOWN (WABC) -- One of the victims in the Newtown tragedy died without ever knowing her boyfriend planned to ask her to get married.
Rachel D'Avino's boyfriend wanted to surprise her by proposing on Christmas Eve.
Just two days before the shootings, he'd asked her parents for their blessing.
The 29-year-old died while trying to protect her students at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Her aunt says she held out hope her niece somehow survived the shooting.
"Even after they said everybody was dead, I was still thinking that Rachel was hiding somewhere," Christine Carmody said.
Rachel's aunt received another emotional jolt the day after the shootings when her niece's annual Christmas card arrived in the mail at her Florida home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, michael bloomberg, gun control, new york news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash