New York News
Newtown victim D'Avino died just before proposal
NEWTOWN (WABC) -- One of the victims in the Newtown tragedy died without ever knowing her boyfriend planned to ask her to get married.
Rachel D'Avino's boyfriend wanted to surprise her by proposing on Christmas Eve.
Just two days before the shootings, he'd asked her parents for their blessing.
The 29-year-old died while trying to protect her students at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Her aunt says she held out hope her niece somehow survived the shooting.
"Even after they said everybody was dead, I was still thinking that Rachel was hiding somewhere," Christine Carmody said.
Rachel's aunt received another emotional jolt the day after the shootings when her niece's annual Christmas card arrived in the mail at her Florida home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, michael bloomberg, gun control, new york news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule after earlier delays
- Snow coming down in New York City 1 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 25 min ago
- Snow falling on Long Island 8 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront 20 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Snow coming down in New York City
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos