New York News
Newtown victim D'Avino died just before proposal
NEWTOWN (WABC) -- One of the victims in the Newtown tragedy died without ever knowing her boyfriend planned to ask her to get married.
Rachel D'Avino's boyfriend wanted to surprise her by proposing on Christmas Eve.
Just two days before the shootings, he'd asked her parents for their blessing.
The 29-year-old died while trying to protect her students at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Her aunt says she held out hope her niece somehow survived the shooting.
"Even after they said everybody was dead, I was still thinking that Rachel was hiding somewhere," Christine Carmody said.
Rachel's aunt received another emotional jolt the day after the shootings when her niece's annual Christmas card arrived in the mail at her Florida home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, michael bloomberg, gun control, new york news
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines