New York News
Boxer charged in PATH station attack
WEST VILLAGE -- A 41-year-old man who has been an amateur boxer is under arrest in an attack, caught on camera, of a woman at New York's 9th Street PATH station.
Port Authority Police say 41-year-old James Drexie of New York City was arrested Wednesday on a charge of third-degree attempted robbery.
A surveillance camera recorded an attack on a 37-year-old New Jersey woman during an attempted robbery of her iPhone on Oct. 1. When the suspect tried to rip the phone out of the woman's hands, police say she resisted. The man then punched the victim, knocking her to the ground before fleeing.
Port Authority Police Chief John Ryan says news broadcasts of the surveillance camera video led to the identification of the suspect, who has a history of arrests.
Drexie was to appear Thursday in court in Manhattan. Police say they don't know if has retained a lawyer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, west village, iphone, robbery, new york news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen