New York News
Boxer charged in PATH station attack
WEST VILLAGE -- A 41-year-old man who has been an amateur boxer is under arrest in an attack, caught on camera, of a woman at New York's 9th Street PATH station.
Port Authority Police say 41-year-old James Drexie of New York City was arrested Wednesday on a charge of third-degree attempted robbery.
A surveillance camera recorded an attack on a 37-year-old New Jersey woman during an attempted robbery of her iPhone on Oct. 1. When the suspect tried to rip the phone out of the woman's hands, police say she resisted. The man then punched the victim, knocking her to the ground before fleeing.
Port Authority Police Chief John Ryan says news broadcasts of the surveillance camera video led to the identification of the suspect, who has a history of arrests.
Drexie was to appear Thursday in court in Manhattan. Police say they don't know if has retained a lawyer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, west village, iphone, robbery, new york news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos