New York News
Port Authority agents help deliver baby in Holland Tunnel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A baby boy was delivered in the Holland Tunnel Wednesday morning, a special rush-hour delivery made with the help of Port Authority agents.
The frantic father, identified as Abdel Elkarhat, ran for the help when the mother went into labor while in the tunnel, near the New York side, just after 7 a.m.
Port Authority agents George McCann and his partner Jean Bernard rushed to the car.
They carefully helped new mom Soukaina Nekhlaoui deliver the baby boy and even created an "oxygen tent" around the baby to protect the newborn from car fumes.
Both the mother, from Lodi, New Jersey, and little Nassim Mohammed Elkarhat were taken to New York Downtown Hospital in stable condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, holland tunnel, new york news
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 20 min ago
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers...
8 min ago