New York News
Elderly man critical after being trapped in elevator
EAST HARLEM (WABC) -- An 85-year-old man is in critical condition following an elevator accident in Harlem Sunday night.
The incident happened at the Wilson Houses on 105th Street just after 5 p.m.
Firefighters say the man was trapped in an elevator between the first and second floors and is suffering from a leg fracture after most of his body was trapped inside the elevator as his feet dangled outside between floors.
Paramedics rushed the victim into an ambulance, doing their best to protect him from the brutally cold temperatures.
He was taken to Harlem Hospital in critical condition.
"He was in a lot of pain," a neighbor said. "He said 'Call the cops!'"
Resident say the elevators are constantly under repair and not in use, and some say climbing 20 flights of stairs is just unacceptable.
No one answered the door at the victim's 11th floor apartment, but neighbors say his son went to the hospital with him.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, elevator accident, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem 27 min ago
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos