New York News
At least 3 dead in Bronx building fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A third-alarm fire burned through a row home in the Soundview section of the Bronx early Monday.
Flames shot through the roof of the three-story house on Beach Avenue. The fire broke out just after 5:45 a.m. and quickly made its way through the home.
A Fire Department spokesman says the initial 911 caller gave the wrong address for the fire building. The first call was made at 5:42am and the address given was for a building 4 blocks away on Beach Avenue.
Less than a minute later, a second 911 call was made that gave the correct address of 735 Beach Avenue.
The closest fire units had to check out the initial call with the wrong address, because at the time, they didn't know it was wrong. Dispatch had to send separate crews, which were further away, to the correct address once the second call came in.
As a result, it took firefighters almost 8 minutes to get to the fire building after the initial 911 call was made. When they got to the scene, fire was visible on all three floors. On average, firefighters arrive at a fire in NYC in 4 minutes.
Firefighters sweeping the collapsed building discovered three bodies in the rubble. 71-year-old Anneta Isaac, 73-year-old John Debro and 12-year-old Jahvonte Smith were killed in the fire.
Three other residents were taken to Jacobi Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries, and two firefighters were also being treated for injuries.
The roof collapsed into the building, and brought down the interior floors.
The fire was deemed to have been caused by an accidental gas leak.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, soundview, fire, new york news
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold 22 min ago
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos