New York News
1 dead as crash shuts down LIE in Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- A fatal accident on the Long Island Expressway shut down the highway in Queens early Wednesday.
All eastbound lanes were closed near 108th Street after a car overturned, killing the front-seat passenger.
The cause of the accident, which happened around 4 a.m., was under investigation. Police say the 39-year-old driver, identified as Ricardo Rivas, struck a median near the 108th Street exit. Carlos Rivas, 27, was pronounced dead on arrival at Booth Memorial Hospital.
Three additional passengers in the back were transported to Elmhurst General Hospital in stable condition. Ricardo Rivas was arrested at the scene and is charged with vehicular manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and driving while intoxicated.
All lanes reopened just before 6 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
queens, long island expressway, accident, new york city, new york news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos