New York News
1 dead as crash shuts down LIE in Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- A fatal accident on the Long Island Expressway shut down the highway in Queens early Wednesday.
All eastbound lanes were closed near 108th Street after a car overturned, killing the front-seat passenger.
The cause of the accident, which happened around 4 a.m., was under investigation. Police say the 39-year-old driver, identified as Ricardo Rivas, struck a median near the 108th Street exit. Carlos Rivas, 27, was pronounced dead on arrival at Booth Memorial Hospital.
Three additional passengers in the back were transported to Elmhurst General Hospital in stable condition. Ricardo Rivas was arrested at the scene and is charged with vehicular manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and driving while intoxicated.
All lanes reopened just before 6 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
queens, long island expressway, accident, new york city, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos