New York News
1 dead as crash shuts down LIE in Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- A fatal accident on the Long Island Expressway shut down the highway in Queens early Wednesday.
All eastbound lanes were closed near 108th Street after a car overturned, killing the front-seat passenger.
The cause of the accident, which happened around 4 a.m., was under investigation. Police say the 39-year-old driver, identified as Ricardo Rivas, struck a median near the 108th Street exit. Carlos Rivas, 27, was pronounced dead on arrival at Booth Memorial Hospital.
Three additional passengers in the back were transported to Elmhurst General Hospital in stable condition. Ricardo Rivas was arrested at the scene and is charged with vehicular manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and driving while intoxicated.
All lanes reopened just before 6 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
queens, long island expressway, accident, new york city, new york news
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos