New York News
1 dead as crash shuts down LIE in Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- A fatal accident on the Long Island Expressway shut down the highway in Queens early Wednesday.
All eastbound lanes were closed near 108th Street after a car overturned, killing the front-seat passenger.
The cause of the accident, which happened around 4 a.m., was under investigation. Police say the 39-year-old driver, identified as Ricardo Rivas, struck a median near the 108th Street exit. Carlos Rivas, 27, was pronounced dead on arrival at Booth Memorial Hospital.
Three additional passengers in the back were transported to Elmhurst General Hospital in stable condition. Ricardo Rivas was arrested at the scene and is charged with vehicular manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and driving while intoxicated.
All lanes reopened just before 6 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
queens, long island expressway, accident, new york city, new york news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen