New York News
1 dead as crash shuts down LIE in Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- A fatal accident on the Long Island Expressway shut down the highway in Queens early Wednesday.
All eastbound lanes were closed near 108th Street after a car overturned, killing the front-seat passenger.
The cause of the accident, which happened around 4 a.m., was under investigation. Police say the 39-year-old driver, identified as Ricardo Rivas, struck a median near the 108th Street exit. Carlos Rivas, 27, was pronounced dead on arrival at Booth Memorial Hospital.
Three additional passengers in the back were transported to Elmhurst General Hospital in stable condition. Ricardo Rivas was arrested at the scene and is charged with vehicular manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and driving while intoxicated.
All lanes reopened just before 6 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
queens, long island expressway, accident, new york city, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide