New York News
Police shoot armed suspect in East New York
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say an NYPD officer shot an armed suspect who pulled a gun on him Friday night in East New York, Brooklyn.
It happened on Sutter Avenue just before 7 p.m.
Two officers near the Cypress Hills housing complex saw two men inside 1220 Sutter Avenue banging on the vestibule door.
As one of the officers exited the passenger side of the police car, one of the males, a 19-year-old, began to run through the complex.
The officer pursued the suspect on foot, while the officer's partner drove to cut off the suspect.
Near 1250 Sutter Avenue, the suspect turned toward the officer on foot and pointed a semi-automatic handgun in his direction.
The officer fired, striking the gunman in the left buttock.
The suspect, who had an open warrant for failure to appear in court on a disorderly conduct charge is in stable condition at Brookdale Hospital.
The officer was treated at Jamaica Hospital for tinnitus.
A Millennium Pro 40 caliber semi-automatic handgun was recovered at the scene.
Charges against the suspect are pending and the investigation is ongoing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, police shooting, new york news
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 50 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 55 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 44 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident