New York News
Vigil held for victims of Brooklyn crash
GRAVESEND (WABC) -- About 100 people gathered at a candlelight vigil in Brooklyn Saturday night to remember the victims of a violent car crash in the Gravesend section.
Three people were killed and three others injured early Saturday morning when a red Toyota Camry collided with a black Acura at the intersection of East 5th Street and Avenue U.
Both people in the Toyota were killed: 24-year-old Leonora Lavaud and 26-year-old Andre Capers-Jones.
The driver of the Acura also died in the crash.
He has been identified as 21-year old Jonathan Ishan-Sade.
Three passengers in his car were injured.
Police say Ishan-Sade was travelling east on Avenue U at a high rate of speed, went through a steady red light and smashed into the Toyota.
In her new apartment that she looked forward to decorating, the family of Lenora Lavaud tried to figure out just how to go on without her.
The 24-year-old was a waitress and a student at Brooklyn College, where she was active in her sorority.
Lavaud's roommate, Sarah Armstrong, said that Lavaud caught a ride home with her friend Capers-Jones around 2.a.m Saturday when their car was t-boned by the Acura.
Capers-Jones was also active in his fraternity, and was a Health Administration major at New York Tech. He wanted to be a special needs teacher.
"He didn't deserve that." said the victim's cousin, Maurice Capers, "He was doing everything, everything."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, gravesend, accident, new york news, darla miles
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 26 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying 35 min ago
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 56 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
56 min ago