New York News
Cabbie beaten into coma; suspect out on bail
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man is free on bail after the brutal beating of a cab driver.
The suspect allegedly beat the driver into a coma in Brooklyn over an argument about the fare.
The victim's sister and nephew are demanding justice for him.
53-year-old Key Chun Kim had been in a coma since New Year's Day.
Officials believe the gentle New York City yellow cab driver was beaten unconscious by a violent passenger who asked for a ride out to Willoughby and Skillman in Brooklyn then refused to pay his fare.
Kim's family by his bedside at Kings County Hospital asked Eyewitness News to protect their identities.
They are fearful of the passenger.
28-year-old Andrew McElroy was arrested shortly after savage attack then charged only with only misdemeanors.
The day after the near fatal beating he was released on $10,000 bail while Kim has still to open his eyes.
The family worries officials are taking Kim's life too lightly.
He drove a cab by night to pay the bills.
By day, he was a published author.
He wrote poems and played golf.
In fact, Kim was about to complete a collection of Korean poems when his world collapsed.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, assault, cab drivers, brooklyn, new york news, lucy yang
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 37 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 35 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
24 min ago