New York News
NYPD: Correction Officer involved in shooting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say an off duty correction officer shot a 34-year-old man in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn.
Police say it looked like an ongoing argument between the estranged mother and father of a 3-year-old girl.
Police sources say the father used a smartphone app to stalk the mother and her current boyfriend, both civil servants found in a desperate encounter.
"When it comes to this source of stupidity, people just need to let go," said community activist Tony Herbert.
Sources say this incident, a love triangle involving the driver of an Escalade and a man and a woman inside another car who are both in the Correction Department.
Police sources say the smartphone app was used to track the couple down, cutting them off, and charging at the driver who opened fire.
The bullet struck the assailant's face and ended up in his chest.
The driver of the Escalade was unarmed and is in surgery.
Police say even if this case is ruled self defense, the correction department is doing an internal investigation.
The young girl was not harmed.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 25 min ago
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers...
13 min ago