New York News
EMTs show support in court after alleged assault
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There was a show of support for an EMT who says she was beaten on the job, inside an ambulance.
The support happened at court Tuesday where the man accused of attacking her went before a judge.
Other EMTs claim he's getting special treatment because of his own job in the courts.
Teresa Soler says she was terrified, that she was grabbed by the neck and choked, then punched repeatedly in her face, her stomach and her legs.
She was left black and blue allegedly at the hands of Michael Jaccarino.
That's Assistant District Attorney Michael Jaccarino of Brooklyn.
Teresa is an EMT.
She says she and her partner were called to the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge by police where a man was wandering the roadway, apparently intoxicated.
She says it seemed routine, until she tried to strap him into the back of the ambulance.
She says her partner continued driving for several minutes until he heard what sounded like a struggle.
Jaccarino's lawyer refused to discuss the case and prosecutors would not say when-or if-the case would be presented to a grand jury.
More than a dozen EMTs attended court Tuesday; their union says assaults on EMTs are on the rise.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, assault, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 2 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
58 min ago