New York News
90-year-old woman shot twice in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 90-year-old woman was shot twice in East New York, Brooklyn.
It happened at around 4:25 p.m. near the intersection of Blake and Miller Avenues.
The victim, who police say was shot twice in the arm was taken to Brookdale Hospital and remains in stable condition.
Officials say the woman was with her home health attendant at the time of the shooting. She was shot and hit in the elbow.
The streets of East New York were cordoned off with crime scene tape Wednesday night, and what a crime it was.
Think of all Gloria Johnson has seen in her 90 years, but she never saw this coming.
On the way to the Laundromat she was shot twice.
"She didn't know she'd been shot until she saw the blood," said Ellen Johnson, the victim's granddaughter.
Stephan works at a nearby deli and he came out to help Mrs. Johnson.
"She couldn't talk, she's was just nervous like shaking. She saw the blood and that's when she got worried too much," said Stephan Ali, an eyewitness.
Police believe the 90-year-old woman was caught in a gun battle between two people who had a beef that had nothing to do with her.
But people in the community were not eager to hear any excuses.
"Shame on you for busting shots at 90-year-old ladies, shame on you, embarrassing that this has happened in our community. It's bad enough that we are going through enough troubles in life, to have a 90-year-old lady shot in our community," said John Rodriguez, a resident.
This as the governor and lawmakers are considering new gun laws.
"Folks in Brooklyn, in Queens, in Manhattan, in the Bronx are dying out here. Our young people and now our elders are being shot with these illegal handguns and this has to stop today," said Tony Herbert, a community activist.
Three generations of family members are just happy Mrs. Johnson is OK.
"She's fine, she wants to go home actually. She's strong, she's been through a lot and we just need your prayers," said Stacey Holt, the victim's granddaughter.
Sources say a silver car, belived to be an Acura, pulled up near the intersection and fired at a group of people standing at the corner of Blake and Miller Avenues.
Police say the victim was not the intended target.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, shooting, new york news, jim dolan
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos