New York News
City breaking ground on High Bridge restoration
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Congressman Jose Serrano will take the first step in reopening a familiar part of the city Friday that few people have experienced.
A groundbreaking ceremony will mark the start of work on restoring the High Bridge.
The 1848 structure linking Manhattan and the Bronx was erected to carry water from the Croton aqueduct.
It has been closed since 1970.
But with a $62 million restoration, it will be open to pedestrians for the first time in more than 40 years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 9 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown victims families deliver statement 32 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits New York Area 9 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
9 min ago