New York News
Search for suspects in brutal West Village beating
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's a frantic police search for the group that beat a man within an inch of his life.
It happened in Manhattan's West Village.
The video taken by a witness shows a brutal, savage beat down in the street.
There is no context, what started it or what followed, but the beating, with a tire iron and baseball bat is horrific and it left 24-year-old Kevin McCarron with multiple fractures of his skull and in critical condition.
"We know he's going to pull through and be fine," said April Lyskowsky, a family friend.
McCarron worked, until recently, at a home for at risk youth outside of Boston.
On Sunday morning he was in the Village with some old friends and got into an argument with several people he encountered on MacDougal Street.
"Every time I see him, it's always a good vibe," said Jose Cespedes, a friend.
One of the young men McCarron mentored was Jose Cespedes.
"That's what you need to lead you into a way of live with positive things, it turned my life around," Cespedes said.
Two men are in custody as friends and family wait to see if a young man so important to others, will survive.
"There were students today who were given notice of this and they were devastated," Lyskowsky said.
Two suspects are charged with gang assault among other charges. Police are searching for at least four more suspects.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, west village, assault, new york news, jim dolan
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos