New York News
Queens mom charged after boy brings gun to school
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The mother of a boy who police say brought a gun and ammunition to school in his backpack is now facing charges.
Police say the loaded .22-caliber handgun was found on the 7-year-old boy when he arrived at Wave Preparatory School on Briar Place in Far Rockaway Thursday. A flare gun was also recovered from the scene.
His mother, 53-year-old Deborah Farley, is now charged with criminal possession of a weapon, unlawful possession of a weapon and endangering the welfare of a child.
New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said Thursday that it wasn't clear whether the boy knew the items were in his backpack or whether the was stashed by someone at his home.
Farley reportedly told detectives during questioning that she put the weapon in her son's school bag and forgot about it. She then told school officials that her son had a dentist appointment, asking him in private about the gun. The boy apparently also brought the flare gun with him and told his mother he'd given it to a friend.
Detectives then searched her home in Far Rockaway and found additional ammunition.
The investigation initially indicated that the gun was placed in the bag by the boy's older brother, who may have local gang ties.
The school was locked down. The friend was found with the flare gun, and the backpack was searched and the semi-automatic pistol found.
The Education Department released the following statement:
"A lockdown was called at the PS 215Q campus by a member of the staff of WAVE Preparatory Academy. A gun was found in the bookbag of a second grade student. The gun was confiscated. NYPD, School Safety were on site. Parent of the student was notified."
The investigation is ongoing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, far rockaway, school lockdown, gun, new york news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement 11 min ago
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 25 min ago
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 31 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
11 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
31 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos