New York News
Bronx churches plagued by thieves hell-bent on crime
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Churchgoers in the Bronx are under assault. They are being targeted by thieves who find them easy prey.
The thieves even robbed a priest.
The incidents have been happening in the Melrose and University Heights sections.
Evangelina Mercedes says it happened to her. She left her pew for just a moment and her bag was gone.
"It was a bag of clothes for the child I was with and that was the only clothes the child had," Mercedes said.
Over the past several weeks, the parishioners of St. Nicholas of Tolentine Roman Catholic Church have learned that their sanctuary is not a sanctuary from crime.
Father Joseph Girone says it's a growing problem.
Thieves use coat hangers to fish bills from the poor boxes. Some parishioners have been mugged on the street outside the church. One thief even snatched the crucifix from around Father Girone's neck.
"Moment of opportunity, as I went by they grabbed the chain with the cross on it, a memento from a pilgrimage I made," Rev. Girone said.
He's confronted the thieves and heard some troubling answers.
"'This is God's house, I can do what I want in it, you have nothing to say, this is God's house' so I get that a lot of times," Rev. Girone said.
Sandra Rawlings, who depends on the church's food pantry, says it's outrageous.
"It's a good church, there's no reason for that, I don't see it," Rawlings said.
Father Girone is convinced that the root of the problem is mental illness, substance abuse and addiction.
And his church, sadly, is not immune to any of it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, crime, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card 11 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Man says he was unjustly pepper sprayed by police
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos