New York News
Police searching for thieves targeting the elderly
MORRIS PARK (WABC) -- It is an old-time scam - one thief pretends he is coming to fix a leak or do an inspection, and while he is working, the second thief robs the house.
On Saturday, investigators warned senior citizens in the Bronx to be careful. Police are on the lookout for two men who have been targeting the elderly by talking their way into peoples' homes.
So far it has happened three times in Morris Park. The victims were 71, 73 and 89 years old.
Police have put out a sketch of one of the suspects, and say the thieves are either white or Hispanic, between the ages of 25 to 35 years, and are about 5'10 and 175 pounds. The suspects were not in uniform, and did not show any ID, even though they claimed to be contractors or city workers. They were also seen driving away in a gray pickup.
On one occasion, investigators say the suspects posed as Department of Environmental Protection employees and claimed they were investigating a complaint. When the victims went into the kitchen to test the water, the suspects stole cash out of a bedroom dresser.
No injuries were reported in any of the robberies.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, burglary, theft, scams, new york news
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens 1 min ago
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike...
1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
56 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos