New York News
Next Staten Island Ferry might not include outdoor seats
STATEN ISLAND -- Preliminary designs for the next generation of Staten Island Ferry would do away with the outdoor seating that has helped turn the big orange boats into a popular tourist attraction.
The Staten Island Advance reports that a design report prepared by a naval engineering firm calls for new ships that would be run with a smaller crew and cut fuel costs by 40 percent.
But the early blueprints also lack the breezy outdoor promenades, which are among the most romantic ways to see New York Harbor.
Ferry Riders Committee Chairman Nicholas Zvegintzov tells the Advance he is confident the outdoor decks will be restored.
City Department of Transportation spokesman Scott Gastel says the designs are only preliminary and the public will be asked for input before anything is finalized.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, new york news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 2 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Queens trench rescue 24 min ago