New York News
Next Staten Island Ferry might not include outdoor seats
STATEN ISLAND -- Preliminary designs for the next generation of Staten Island Ferry would do away with the outdoor seating that has helped turn the big orange boats into a popular tourist attraction.
The Staten Island Advance reports that a design report prepared by a naval engineering firm calls for new ships that would be run with a smaller crew and cut fuel costs by 40 percent.
But the early blueprints also lack the breezy outdoor promenades, which are among the most romantic ways to see New York Harbor.
Ferry Riders Committee Chairman Nicholas Zvegintzov tells the Advance he is confident the outdoor decks will be restored.
City Department of Transportation spokesman Scott Gastel says the designs are only preliminary and the public will be asked for input before anything is finalized.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, new york news
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 54 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 46 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 46 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in...
54 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos