New York News
Next Staten Island Ferry might not include outdoor seats
STATEN ISLAND -- Preliminary designs for the next generation of Staten Island Ferry would do away with the outdoor seating that has helped turn the big orange boats into a popular tourist attraction.
The Staten Island Advance reports that a design report prepared by a naval engineering firm calls for new ships that would be run with a smaller crew and cut fuel costs by 40 percent.
But the early blueprints also lack the breezy outdoor promenades, which are among the most romantic ways to see New York Harbor.
Ferry Riders Committee Chairman Nicholas Zvegintzov tells the Advance he is confident the outdoor decks will be restored.
City Department of Transportation spokesman Scott Gastel says the designs are only preliminary and the public will be asked for input before anything is finalized.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, new york news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 2 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
52 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos