New York News
Man jumps on subway tracks to save stranger
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Heroes can emerge anywhere and anytime. A hero did emerge last Friday when a man saved a stranger inside a subway station.
"I see people rushing passed me and when I turn around I see an old man in the middle of the tracks crawling," Ocasio said.
The elderly man fell on the tracks at the busy 59th Street Lexington Avenue Subway Station around 4 Friday afternoon.
"I'm looking him looking to see if the train is coming, looking at him, and I'm like this is just not happening to me. It can't happen in front of my eyes," Ocasio said.
Within seconds, Ocasio jumped on the tracks seeing no other option.
"I grabbed him by his collar and his pants and threw him to the platform. Don't ask me how because I'm not a strong dude," Ocasio said.
He wasn't strong enough to pull himself back up onto the platform.
Four or five people had to hoist the 33-year-old hero up onto the platform, hurting his knee in the process.
"I would say 7 to 10 seconds later the Q passed by. It was overwhelming. People were just crying and hugging," Ocasio said.
Eyewitness News found people thanking him on social media, saying he did what most of us wouldn't.
"I'm just an average Joe, a 9-5 guy. I just think God is great. He put me in that position and gave me the strength. If you asked me if I would I do it again, I just don't know," Ocasio said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, astoria, manhattan, subway, new york news, carolina leid
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit 28 min ago
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled 13 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system...
13 min ago